Online Book Collections are getting better & better. Some of them are designed for ESL and some even have books with audio read in other languages (with and without text). Here is a small collection for you to “check out”!
A Collection of "The Best..." Lists for Online Books Accessible to ELLs:
Here is A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists For Online Books Accessible To ELLs:
- The Best Websites To Help Beginning Readers
- The Best Websites For Beginning Older Readers
- The Best Websites For Intermediate Readers
- The Best Sources For Free & Accessible Printable Books
And for even more ideas, Larry Frlazzo—the king of website collecting offers us: http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2011/11/21/a-collection-of-the-best-lists-for-online-books-accessible-to-ells/
Unite for Literacy
How does the library work?
Simply click on a book and start reading! Press the audio buttons to hear narrations available in more than 30 languages. It's a great way to supplement every young reader's experience.
designed to work with all major browsers and supports smartphones, tablets and computers. Internet connection is all that's required.
No catch. No hidden agendas.
The International Children's Digital Library
The International Children's Digital Library has a growing collection of historical and contemporary books from around the world, which are translated into numerous languages.
The ICDL Foundation promotes tolerance and respect for diverse cultures by providing access to the best of children's literature from around the world.
An Alberta Dual Language Project:
(or google: Family Treasures Dual Language Project)
- Dual language books developed by students
- Information for Educators regarding L1
The English Express was an Alberta newspaper for adults improving their English reading skills. Children and youth often enjoy reading the newspaper articles here, too. On this website, you can read, print, and listen to archived articles with photos on your computer screen (some videos, too). Word games & stories from readers, as well. There are teacher notes & comprehension activities available for the articles as well.
Learn Alberta Resources
What is LearnAlberta.ca?
LearnAlberta.ca provides quality digital learning and teaching resources correlated to Alberta Education’s kindergarten to Grade 12 programs of study.
Who is this site designed for?
This site was designed and developed to assist kindergarten to Grade 12 teachers in Alberta locate and utilize digital learning and teaching resources produced by the Ministry of Education. The design of the site is reflective of how teachers think and work in an online environment. It is not perfect, but we are continuing to work on it in consultation with teachers in the field. If you would like to become involved in helping us define future versions of the site please contact our user experience team at email@example.com.
Great picks from this site!
- Trueflix (eg “Extreme Nature”) includes video and book, 47 titles!
- Life Science
- Read Write Think (eg Acrostics)
- Muzzy – for English language learning (better for younger students)
- Students need to use their password for access
- eBook service with thousands of high-quality books.
- free for teachers, but Epic! wants parents to sign up for the Home Version ($4.99/month and includes a 60 day free trial.)
- Read as many books as you want, whenever
- Read online or offline — sign up once and access Epic! on any iOS or Android device, laptops and desktop
- Thousands of Read-to-Me and Audio books included with a wide variety of books for different ages
Good old U-tube has numerous books read aloud including some classics!
Try searching U-Tube using the following: fables, fixed fairy tales (these have amusing alternative endings), animal stories for children and nonfiction books for children…